Sunday, June 27, 2010

Watching Television Without a Plan



It has been years since I considered myself to be a true television viewer. When I was a kid, my life revolved around the television. I didn't realize this back then, but this meant that the time during my childhood when I wasn't in school was planned for me by a team of network executives. Except during Lent of course. It was an annual tradition in our household to give up television for Lent. Around the time I started high school I stopped watching television almost entirely. Ironically, it was around this time when I began my journey toward becoming an ex-Catholic.

During the last decade I would have told you that I only watch Lost and Jeopardy, but in the last year my TV watching has sky-rocketed. For the sake of this blog and because it is timely and relevant, I will blame my new found interest in television on the economy. Because of this I have found myself with quite a bit more free time on my hands. In this time, I have started watching all sorts of crap. For starters, I watched one full season of American Idol and actually found myself caring how it all turned out. The same goes for one cycle of America's Next Top Model. I know nothing about fashion, but WOW I love that show! I've gotten into some of the reality programming on VH-1 and I will always watch any show that starts with Dr. Drew's...in the title. I also love what Dr. Tolin is doing as well as Dr. Oz. I Do not watch Dr. Phil. I have to draw the line somewhere. I do not subscribe to Showtime or HBO, but I have managed to find ways to keep up with Dexter, Weeds and True Blood. The History Channel has gotten amazing and branched out with their shows. It's no longer all documentaries about WWII. They have have decided to compete with another great show Antiques Road Show with their American Pickers and Pawn Stars. Both are amazing and I watch those now. And finally, after Lost ended I started watching V. I never saw the old series from the 80's but I did get into this new one. It's incredibly predictable and really cheesy, but it is so entertaining.

I think that's it. Those are the only shows I watch. And I don't even have a DVR. Most of this is technically not even television watching that I'm doing. I usually only turn on a TV while I'm eating or doing the dishes. The rest is seen on a computer. And for the record, I am not unemployed. I just don't go out much.

Did I mention that I also have Netflix? Netflix has introduced me to some shows that I would have never bothered watching otherwise. Because of netflix I finaly watched all three seasons of Arrested Development. I was also introduced to the brilliant british documentary series Up. If you don't know what that show is I will probably blog about it some other time, but you can read about it here. My most recent thing I've gotten into is Dark Shadows. I avoided it for years because it's a soap opera, but I watched a few episodes on Netflix and now I'm hooked. Will Maggie Evans become Josette DuPres? I have to watch to find out. Or I could probably just read about it on wikipedia.

I'm not sure where I was going with all of this, I guess I do watch TV. It's kind of ridiculous when I see it all written down. Maybe I'll cut a few out. I'm still learning the concept of moderation. Maybe I need the help of Dr. Drew. Or perhaps the need to watch everything is an OCD and Dr. Tolin can help. I guess I'll have to watch the rest of The OCD Project to find out.

No comments: